July 12, 2011

At Least I Have My Health...


(CNN)- Men are more likely than women to get and die of cancer, according to an analysis of 36 different types of tumors and blood cancers that affect both sexes. Leukemia and cancers of the colon and rectum, pancreas, and liver killed about one and a half to two times as many men as women in the U.S. over a 30-year period. In addition, lung cancer killed nearly two and a half times as many men during that time. The American Cancer Society estimates that men have about a 1 in 2 chance of developing cancer at some point in their lives, compared with women, who have a 1 in 3 chance.

What the hell? I don't even care that men are more prone to cancer than women. Ever since before the suffrage movement women have been catching breaks left and right. I'm basically immuned to it by now. The one thing that blows me away is that at our best as humans we have a 1-in-3 chance of getting some form of cancer. It's 2011 isn't it? I have a much cheaper version of that stupid movie 2012 with John Cusack: everyone gets cancer and dies. No Mayans, No IChing, none of that bullshit I've watched 100 times on the history channel. Straight up cancer everywhere. Maybe it's just me but to throw out probabilities like that so casually freaks me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment